Sunday, February 20, 2011

beginning the blog

The funny thing is, the supporters who sort of threatened to stop caring about us if we didn't get on facebook seem to have mysteriously ended their own facebook careers. Now that I'm "on" I see why; if you really tried hard to keep up on all the threads, birthdays, and "apps" you'd be there all the time. I haven't done it long enough to be completely sick of it all yet, and I like keeping tabs on my girls' usage, as well as knowing what kinds of comments and attitudes their friends are spouting.

But one-liners and silly uses for semi-colons just don't fulfill my need to write. Journaling on the computer feels like blasting ideas into pixel dust and I want my words to see the light of someone else's screen, at the very least. As I've been laboring over what to write next, first, or during novels I keep going back to a memoir-type tome, and suddenly I know the answer: blog. Yep. The answer is a word that can't even be found in my (1972) Webster's. It even sounds boring. And here I've spent an entire paragraph talking about the process of writing, which is about the most boring subject of all. But if you made it through to here, you'll read the good stuff! So here it is; a blog of life from my perspective. I have a lot of quirks, several soapboxes, teenage daughters and a son with special needs. I am "honest," (read: opinionated). I will always under or overstate my own sins. I am a 40-something American woman living in Oaxaca, Mexico, as a missionary, writer, but mostly just Mom.

4 comments:

  1. Joy, I am super excited that you decided to do this! I went to Taiwan bound and determined never to be a blogger, but it is just so EASY and unobtrusive (I always felt like my mass update emails might be annoying people). I look forward to sharing life in Mexico with you. Oh, and I LOVE the name you chose for your blog. ¡Dale para adelante! Krista

    ReplyDelete
  2. But using punctuation in random ways if fun!! A five yearold I know wrote his name like this last week |\|()/-\|-| can you guess his name? BTW I love the bolg! You should write some nice simple posts in Spanish so I can practice! Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, Joy, I just enjoy so much your way to "talk" (write) about big issues as daily stuff and daily issues as big stuff. You´ve got a special funny style. And, yes, blogging is the way to have others reading and sharing your passion for writing with. So, go for it, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to LOVE reading your blog. Thankfully I got introduced before you'd been writing for long or I would have been up all night reading every single post. Keep up the good work. If you need any practical help, let me know, and I'll share all I've learned. Let's make a date of it sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete